Jawanza James Williams
Community Organizer, Campaigner, and Politics in Brooklyn
I am a Black, radical Queer, Prison Abolitionist, Socialist, Feminist, Christian engaged in social critique, local, and state politics in New York.
Media featuring me:
New York Times
- How the Floyd Protests Turned Into a 24-Hour ‘Occupy City Hall’ in N.Y.
- Have Americans Warmed to Calls to 'Defund the Police'?
- 'Black Leadership Matters': Why a Radical Rift Is Growing Among N.Y. Democrats
Slate Magazine: 'Next time we probably won't stop at a public space'
Awards and Acknowledgments:
- Citizen Action of New York 2019 Everyday Hero Award
- 2020 Village Independent Democrats Honor for Progressive Activism
- 2020 Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP)Community Activist Recognition
- City & State2021 Community Engagement Power 50
- City & State2021 Albany 40 Under 40
- City & State2021 Pride Power
- NPR Diverse Sources Database